The holiday season is not all sugar plums and candy canes; the holidays brings with it a certain amount of stress. Hosting holiday parties, decorating the house, baking holiday treats, and finding the perfect gifts for all your family and friends is hard work. But don’t you worry your pretty little head, Sassafras Street is here to help with our first annual Sassafras Street Gift Guide series. We’re here to help you find the perfect gift for your best friend, boyfriend, Mom, Dad, siblings, you name it! I’ve assembled the cutest holiday gifts on the market to inspire your shopping list. You never know, you might even find a few things to add to your own Wish List!
Each gift guide is inspired by someone in my own life. All of my friends and family have such unique style and completely different personalities, it’s unrealistic to assemble a one size fits all gift guide. So instead of replicating the generic gift guides that pop up on blogs, in magazines, and in catalogs this time of year, I decided to let you all get to know some of my closest friends and family and check out some of the items on their wish lists!
Inspired by Kim
Kim is my roommate and one of my best friends here at UCLA. She’s a go-getter, driven, ambitious, and hard working. She’s a leader on campus and is no doubt going to be some high-powered lawyer running her own non-profit on the side some day. But don’t let her impressive resume fool you, Kim has a silly side as well. And when I say silly, I mean SILLY. She’s a partner in crime, the Glinda to my Elphaba singing along to the Wicked soundtrack, and a terrible study buddy (she always manages to distract me). Here’s what I’ve been perusing for Kim’s Chrismukkah gift this year!
1. She’s got that extra sparkle. Random strangers come up to her frequently just to say she’s beautiful, or she has beautiful eyes, or really any kind of compliment. Something about her just draws people in, she’s got an inner sparkle that I can’t help but admire. Clearly she needs a sparkly gold belt to match.
2. Two words. Elbow. Patches. Sweater from Rag and Bone. (just saw the absurd price for this sweater, let’s just say I’ve been doing some online window shopping)
3. There are at least 6 purses hanging on the back of our bedroom door, and nearly everyday I get asked the question, “which purse should I wear with this outfit, the black, the brown the yellow…” This pretty gray and black bag from Madewell will go with any of her outfits in her usual color palate, saving both Kim and I the trouble of switching purses everyday.
4. Ain’t she cute!?
5. PUPPPPPY! Kim’s got a little bit of an obsession with puppies. She talks about her own puppy at home all the time, and anytime we see one on the street she strategizes about how she can steal it away from its owners. Wouldn’t it be awesome to give someone a puppy for Christmas? I know Kim would just about die of happiness.
6. Topshop Aubergine Blazer. There’s no better way to look like you have your shit together than by wearing a structured blazer. Kim pretty much always has her shit together and she has quite a few blazers. Coincidence? I think not.
7. Kim is a recent convert to the wonderful world of I-phone. A devoted Blackberrier for many years, she’s finally made the switch and couldn’t be happier about it. She’s defeated Angry Birds, she’s a pro at Temple Run, but still hasn’t managed to set up a voicemail. While she seems to have mastered the fun parts of the I-phone she still has a little more to learn. The second best part about having an I-phone? (Behind games and time-wasting apps, of course) Sparkly and shiny phone cases! Striped gold Kate Spade I-phone case!
8. “She makes the day brighter, she leaves a little sparkle wherever she goes.” Journal from Target
9. Kim and I have developed an unhealthy obsession with the song “Call Your Girlfriend” by Robyn, along with the video. We’ve collectively added a total of 200+ views to the video on youtube. We have tried to learn some of Robyn’s kick ass dance moves, and only dreamt of rocking her crazy outfit and hairdo. Well, Kim’s dreams have just come true, with these floral leggings from H&M and shaggy faux fur vest from Madewell. Now all she needs is a trip to the salon.
10. Striped scarf from j.crew. Cozy.
11. If Kim were a clothing item she would be black leather boots. These black boots from Madewell.