Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and I’ve been feeling the pink, red, and hearts all over! I am currently accepting applications and am open to all individuals interested in “being mine” this Valentine’s Day. But with a Valentine or not I will be celebrating this February 14th for all the other kinds of love that Hallmark doesn’t seem to recognize: platonic love, familial love, and self-love. Here’s what I’ve had my eye on to treat myself to a little self love this Valentine’s Day.
1. Jewel tone pin for your hair or clothing from ban.do.
2. Fuschia loafers from Gap.
3. Classic Conversation Hearts are always a winner in my book. I legitimately love eating conversation hearts, not just for the novelty, but actually. They taste like Necco Wafers, and in case you didn’t know, I love Necco Wafers.
4. Festive purple and pink Knee high socks from Target. I always feel a little more special when I am wearing fun socks with my boots. Nobody can see them, but its my fun little secret that I’ve got some crazy pattern going on underneath my shoes.
5. Sparkly bobbies from ban.do would perk up even the worst of hair days!
6. Jane Eyre long sleeve from Out of Print Clothing. One of my favorite tragic love stories. Perfect for a subtle Valentine themed outfit for February 14!
7. This two tone leather clutch from Gap would be great to carry all my essentials without lugging around a huge tote.
8. Mugs from target make you feel all warm and cozy inside with a cup of coffee.
9. L’Oreal Color Riche Nail Polish in Crazy for Chic. Nothing like a fresh bottle of nail polish in your favorite pink to brighten your Valentine’s Day.
10. A good book is the best gift. I’m determined to finish the Lord of the Rings books as soon as possible. I got hooked during Winter Break and now all I want to do is snuggle up and read them. To hell with fancy dinners and hot dates, Middle Earth is calling my name this Valentine’s Day.
I love having a few journals lying around to jot down notes, to do lists, bits of inspiration, quotes to remember, and the like. I have a mini journal in my purse/backpack every where I go, and a larger one on my nightstand in my apartment. My last journal was all filled up, so I decided to get crafty and hand paint some cheap solid colored journals I picked up at Target (they come in a three pack). It’s really simple, just pick a design you want to add to your journal- I did a floral motif on one and a locust on another. I find it easier to try and replicate an image than create something entirely new, for those of you who are not master artists. I was inspired by a floral calendar and one of my favorite statement necklaces in my jewelry box. All you need is some acrylic paint and some good (thin!) brushes and you can take a boring old notebook and make it look like an expensive journal that you could buy at Papyrus for an arm and a leg.
I think this would be a great handmade Valentine’s Day gift for your friend, sister, or mom. Write one of your favorite quotes on the inside cover! One of my favorites is from St. Therese of Lisieux- “You ask me a method of attaining perfection. I know of love, and only love. Love can do all things” Perfect for a sweet little Valentine’s Day message to a loved one and a great daily reminder to live your life with love!